Objective: Ensuring access to safe water among the most marginalized communities in urban slums of Hyderabad
1. Ensuring Equitable and Sustainable access to improved Water, Sanitation and Hygiene services in the intervention area
2. Empower people demand and realize their Water, Sanitation and Hygiene rights
3. Formation and Capacity building of Basthi Vikas Manch, School Management Committees, School Cabinets, Anganwadi (ICDS) trainers and community
4. Improved hygiene practices at with focus on handwashing, safe handling of water, menstrual hygiene management
5. Public and Political awareness through engagement with local urban local body (ULB) and public campaigns
Activities and Interventions
1. Mapping of poverty pockets on Water, Sanitation and Hygiene through participatory baseline at community level.
2. Organizing community and building their capacity for realizing the problems and planning on water sanitation and hygiene solutions by creating examples of community managed safe drinking facilities.
3. Building capacity of local community for creating successful models of water safety/ water purification of water points to ensure safe water supply.
4. Demonstrate decentralized community managed water supply processes in the target areas. (Community managed process will be developed which include formation of Nari Nirmal Awas samite who will manage the mini piped water system
5. Building capacity of community level front line workers (e.g. Anganwadi Workers) working on nutrition, education and health at city level on good hygiene practices and behaviour change.
6. Developing innovative models and Information , Education and Communication tools for promotion and monitoring of personal hygiene
7. Developing Operation & Maintenance models for newly created and already established Water and Sanitation infrastructure.
8. Water , Sanitation and Hygiene Skills Training Program - Training youth from the local community in Water , Sanitation and Hygiene products and service so that these can be livelihood options for them and a cadre of youth is made available at community level for operation and maintenance of these facilities .
9. Demonstration of sustainable and environment friendly governance models of solid waste management. Process managed by Community level collective.
10. Capacity building of women, city government functionaries and elected representatives, Federation building of BVMs and Campaigns
11. Knowledge sharing workshops
Funded By: Bank of America Continuum Limited
Supported By: WaterAid India
Duration: April 2018 to March 2019 (Phase I)
April 2019 to December 2019 (Phase II)
Dr. Solomon Raj
Mr.J. Sudheer Kumar
Mr.P. Sai Kiran